.Com registrations fall in latest month of official data.
ICANN has published the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) about the .com namespace. This registrar-by-registrar report covers May 2020.
Domain name registrations came back toward earth after a stunning April. All of the registrars who were on the top 10 chart last month saw a drop in monthly .com registrations. Granted, they are still elevated compared to previous months for some registrars. Wix, for example, had its second consecutive month over 100,000 .com registrations.
Two other things pop out.
First, it didn’t take nearly as many registrations to make the top 10 this month. That might be because some of the Chinese registrars are missing from the list. Keep an eye on Sav.com, which barely missed the top 10.
Second, Namecheap might top Alibaba to become the fifth-largest .com registrar by the next report.
Here’s how registrars did in terms of new .com registrations in May:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 893,819 (1,011,313 in April)
2. Tucows** (NASDAQ:TCX) 241,523 (270,196)
3. Namecheap Inc. 221,681 (244,079)
4. Endurance+ (NASDAQ: EIGI) 185,996 (203,981)
5. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 146,768 (170,306)
6. Alibaba (HiChina) 129,520 (146,314)
7. Wix (NASDAQ: WIX) 104,064 (110,573)
8. United Internet^ 74,587 (84,925)
9. NameSilo 53,893 (65,429)
10. GMO 44,110 (n/a)
Here’s the leaderboard of the top registrars in terms of total .com registrations under management as of the end of May 2020.
1. GoDaddy* 53,787,318 (53,544,247 in April)
2. Tucows** 12,858,166 (12,815,824)
3. Web.com++ 7,054,625 (7,064,131)
4. Endurance+ 7,011,577 (6,948,816)
5. Alibaba 5,876,504 (5,859,831)
6. Namecheap 5,843,286 (5,690,180)
7. United Internet^ 5,543,211 (5,532,444)
8. Google 3,566,580 (3,474,697)
9. Xin Net Technology Corporation 3,391,386 (3,647,376)
10. GMO 2,305,575 (2,310,668)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I’ve tried to capture the largest ones. See the notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain and Bigrock. There are other Endurance registrars, but these are the biggest.
++ Includes Network Solutions, Register.com, and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape
^ Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
Post link: The Top 10 domain name registrars
© DomainNameWire.com 2020. This is copyrighted content. Domain Name Wire full-text RSS feeds are made available for personal use only, and may not be published on any site without permission. If you see this message on a website, contact editor (at) domainnamewire.com. Latest domain news at DNW.com: Domain Name Wire.